International delivery terms & conditions
If you’re ordering Products from us and select international delivery as your delivery method, John Lewis International Limited will provide the international delivery service to you, and will deliver the Products to your chosen address outside the UK. Your contract for the purchase of the Product/s will still be with John Lewis PLC.
‘John Lewis International Limited’ will be referred to as ‘JL International Ltd’.
'We/Us/Our' shall mean John Lewis plc for the purpose of these terms and conditions. ‘You’ shall mean a user of this Website. ‘Website’ shall mean johnlewis.com, including any sub-domains, or any subsequent URL which may replace it. ‘Product’ shall mean a product displayed for sale on the Website.
These terms and conditions will apply to all orders delivered outside the UK and are in addition to the general UK Terms and Conditions which together govern your contract with us for the sale of the Products and your contract with JL International Ltd for international delivery services. If there is a conflict between these terms and conditions and the UK Terms and Conditions, these terms and conditions shall prevail for orders to be delivered outside of the UK.
Goods eligible for international delivery
- Most but not all our Products are eligible for delivery to destinations outside the UK.
- Where restrictions apply, JL International Ltd will not be able to provide international delivery services to you. In these cases, you may still be able to place an order through our specialist export service; make an enquiry here.
Payment, VAT & Customs
- Payment is to be made in GBP or may be offered in an alternative local currency applicable to the country where the order is being shipped. International credit card providers or banks will determine the exchange rate; if payment is made in a currency not issued as standard by the bank, they may add an additional processing or administration charge which the cardholder will be liable to pay.
- All Product prices shown on the Website are inclusive of any applicable UK VAT. This means that the total price you pay for the Product is always the same, regardless of whether or not UK VAT is chargeable on our sale of the Product.
- Where you have requested delivery to a UK or EU address, the price paid for the Product will include UK VAT where applicable.
- Where you are not a UK resident and you have requested delivery to a non-EU address, the Products will normally be zero-rated and not subject to UK VAT, but the price paid by you for the Products will remain the same as shown on the Website.
- If you are an EU business customer, this website may not be appropriate for you and you may want to place your order through our specialist export service - make an enquiry here. Shipping costs offered by our export service will be higher than the cost of the delivery service offered by JL International Ltd via the Website.
- Please note that we reserve the right to refer online international orders to our export team at John Lewis Oxford Street to arrange separate delivery (to be paid for by the customer) where the true cost of delivery of your order exceeds our advertised online shipping costs. In every instance, you will be contacted by John Lewis to ensure you are happy to proceed with the order on this basis. This will not affect your rights to cancellation of a delivery if you do not wish to proceed.
- Products delivered to destinations outside the EU may be subject to taxes, fees, customs duty, levies or other charges as a result of local legislation or customs formalities. The recipient of your order is responsible for all customs formalities for the import of the Products, and will be required to pay any additional charges for international delivery, including import duty, formal customs entry, taxes, levies and other charges that may be levied outside the EU. The recipient of the goods, not the person placing the order, will receive a separate request for payment of these charges. If you’re ordering Products to be delivered to someone else, please ensure they’re aware that they’ll be responsible for these additional charges. Payment by the recipient must be received by JL International Ltd before delivery of the Products will be made.
- Unfortunately JL International Ltd has no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be, so we and John Lewis International Ltd are unable to offer any assistance on these processes. We advise that you check any customs formalities and the import charges applicable in any non-EU country before ordering Products to be delivered there.
- You (or the recipient of the Products if different) will be the Importer for all international deliveries of the Products. Therefore, before placing an order, it’s your responsibility to check that any Products ordered comply with country, state and/or federal government import regulations, and that there are no local requirements or restrictions which may affect receipt of your order.
- You agree that JL International Ltd will act on your behalf as exporter of the Products and will complete export declarations in its own name on your behalf.
- Where possible, JL International Ltd, or its subcontractors, will carry out all customs formalities on behalf of the recipient of the Products. JL International Ltd, or its subcontractors, will request payment for these charges from the recipient of the Products in a separate invoice. They may also request information from you in relation to customs formalities. You must respond to any request for information within 5 days of the request, or the order will be cancelled and the Products returned to our warehouse.
EU customers right to cancel under the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013
- If you are a UK or EU customer, you have the right to cancel your order provided that you notify us in writing no later than 14 working days after the day on which you receive the Products. Find out more here.
- Please note that you will be expected to bear the cost of returning such products if already delivered to you, and we will not refund your original delivery charge if you have changed your mind about wanting the goods.
- These legal rights do not apply to non-EU customers. If you change your mind about wanting the goods you have ordered, please see the general returns information below.
Changing, cancelling or returning an order
- We’re sorry that in most circumstances it’s not possible to make changes to your order once you’ve placed it. If you’d like to add Products to your order, please place a new order for these items.
- If you need to change details of your delivery address, remove Products from your order or cancel it completely, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact our Customer Services team for advice on +44 1698 54 54 54 7 days a week, between 7am and midnight (UK time). Please be ready to quote your order number and order date.
- If the Products you ordered have already been collected from our warehouse for delivery to you, then you’ll need to follow our Returns procedure in the event of any unwanted Products. You can either email us email@example.com, or call us on +44 1698 54 54 54 to receive instructions on how to make your return.
- Unless Products are faulty, damaged or not as described upon delivery, you are expected to bear the cost of any return, and your original delivery charge will not be refunded.
- Please note that personalised or made-to-measure products cannot be returned unless faulty or not as described, and we also cannot accept returns of unsealed computer software.
- This returns procedure does not affect your legal and statutory rights.
- If your order arrives and the Products are damaged, faulty or not as described, please call us on +441698 54 54 54 to discuss your options with us.
International delivery service contract
- The International delivery service will be provided to you by JL International Ltd.
- JL International Ltd’s registered address is 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN, Company Number 07643845, VAT number GB 112.9712.32.
- By selecting JL International Ltd’s international delivery service for any order, you agree to be bound by JL International Ltd’s terms and conditions below.
- You may request international delivery by selecting the delivery option ‘International delivery provided by JL International Ltd’ at the end of the checkout process, and by specifying a delivery address outside the UK.
- Order acceptance and completion of the contract between you and JL International Ltd will take place when the Products are ordered for international delivery and collected by JL International Ltd from us for delivery to your chosen delivery address
- The contract will be concluded in English.
- Your contract with JL International Ltd to deliver Products internationally only relates to those Products confirmed in the “order confirmation” email sent by us to you. JL International Ltd will not be obliged to deliver any other Products, which may have been part of your order, unless and until those Products are confirmed in an order confirmation email
- JL International Ltd will charge you for the delivery service upon confirming your order
International delivery destinations & charges
- View the list of countries which are JL International Ltd’s current delivery destinations, with delivery lead times and delivery charges.
- If your country does not appear on this list, or the product you wish to order is not eligible for international delivery, an alternative service may be available via our specialist export team - find out more.
- The Website will confirm JL International Ltd’s charge to deliver your products to an international address before you place your order for the international delivery service.
- If you decline the charge for this delivery service, we will cancel your order for the Products unless you select a UK address for delivery, or select collection from a John Lewis or Waitrose UK shop offering the Click & Collect service. You can select these options on the ‘Choose your delivery address’ page.
- JL International Ltd’s delivery charge will be itemised as ‘delivery’ on the delivery and order confirmation pages of the Website and in emails from us, after the subtotal for the value of the goods purchased.
- All delivery charge prices shown on the Website or confirmed to you are inclusive of any applicable UK VAT. This means that the total price you pay JL International Ltd for the delivery services is always the same, regardless of whether or not UK VAT is chargeable on the delivery service.
- For deliveries within the EU, the delivery charge will include UK VAT, and UK VAT will be shown on your VAT receipt from JL International Ltd. View the relevant order and click on the VAT receipt link. If you don't hold an account, you can also obtain a VAT receipt via track your order.
- For deliveries to addresses outside the EU, the delivery services will not normally be subject to UK VAT, but the price paid by you will remain as shown on the Website or confirmed to you.
- 7. If you are an EU business customer, this website may not be appropriate for you and you may want to place your order through our specialist export service - find out more.
International delivery lead times & delays
- Delivery lead times to international addresses will vary according to destination. In the event that your order has been collected by JL International Ltd (as confirmed in the order confirmation e-mail) but has not arrived within the estimated delivery time range, please contact Customer Services. You can either email us firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us on +44 1698 54 54 54. 7 days a week, between 7am and midnight (UK time). Customer Services act on JL International Ltd’s behalf, and will deal with all queries about the international delivery services.
- Depending on stock availability, JL International Ltd may split delivery of your order into several parts and deliver them separately. You will not be charged extra for this.
- Occasionally, delivery of your order may be delayed or prevented for reasons beyond JL International Ltd’s control, such as material shortages, import delays or higher than anticipated demand. Delivery may also be delayed due to customs-related processes (such as inspection).
- If delays outside of JL International Ltd’s control occur, we will make every effort to keep you informed, but neither we nor JL International Ltd shall be under any liability to you for such delay or failure. For the avoidance of doubt, time is not of the essence for the delivery of the Products.
Limitation of liability & our rights
Limitation of liability
1. JL International Ltd will not be liable, in contract, tort (including, without limitation, negligence), pre-contract or other representations (other than fraudulent or negligent misrepresentations) or otherwise out of or in connection with these terms and conditions for:
- any economic losses (including without limitation loss of revenues, profits, contracts, business or anticipated savings); or
- any loss of goodwill or reputation; or
- any special or indirect losses suffered or incurred by that party arising out of or in connection with the provisions of any matter under these terms and conditions.
2. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall exclude or limit JL International Ltd’s liability for death or personal injury resulting from its negligence or that of its servants, agents or employees.
3. To the fullest extent permissible under applicable law, JL International Ltd disclaim any and all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, in relation to the delivery service. This does not affect your statutory rights as a consumer, nor does it affect your Contract Cancellation Rights.
1. JL International Ltd reserves the right to change these terms and conditions from time to time.
2. These terms and conditions govern JL International Ltd’s relationship with you. Any changes to the terms and conditions governing existing contracts must be in writing and signed by both parties. In this way, JL International Ltd can avoid any problems surrounding what John Lewis and you are expected to do.
If any part of these terms and conditions shall be deemed unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed to be severable from the terms and conditions and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any of the remaining provisions of the terms and conditions.
No waiver by us or JL International Ltd shall be construed as a waiver of any proceeding or succeeding breach of any provision.
Each provision of the terms and conditions shall be construed as separately applying and surviving even if for any reason one or other of those provisions is held to be inapplicable or unenforceable in any circumstances.
You confirm that, in agreeing to accept these terms and conditions, you have not relied on any representation save insofar as the same has expressly been made a term of these terms and conditions and you agree that you shall have no remedy in respect of any representation. Your Statutory Rights are not affected by these terms and conditions. Nothing in this paragraph shall limit or exclude JL International Ltd’s liability in respect of any fraudulent or negligent misrepresentation whether or not such has become a term of the terms and conditions.
1. These terms and conditions shall be subject to English law and the Courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction over all claims or disputes arising in relation to, out of or in connection with any contract governed by these terms and conditions.
1. “UK” means the United Kingdom, which includes: England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands
2. “EU” means any country or territory in the fiscal (VAT) area of the European Community, which includes: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus (other than those parts of Cyprus that are not under effective control of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus), Czech Republic, Denmark (except the Faroe Islands and Greenland), Estonia, Finland, France (including Monaco), Germany (except Busingen and the Isle of Heligoland), Greece, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Italy (except the communes of Livigno and Campione d'Italia and the Italian waters of Lake Lugano) , Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal (including the Azores and Madeira), Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain (including the Balearic Islands but excluding Ceuta and Melilla), Sweden and United Kingdom and the Isle of Man.
3. “EU” does not include: Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Herm) - [which we treat as part of the UK], Norway, Andorra, San Marino, Aland Islands, Canary Islands (Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, La Palma, Tenerife, Lanzarote, El Hierro, La Gomera), the overseas departments of France (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Réunion, St Pierre and Miquelon and French Guiana), Mount Athos, Gibraltar, Vatican City, or any other countries not separately listed above.